These positions are responsible for performing varied skilled and semi-skilled duties in maintenance relative to the Willoughby Farm property and equipment including, but not limited to, landscaping, horticulture, forestry, and playground equipment. This position involves animal husbandry with the livestock that resides at the farm. This position may serve as a team leader for at least one crew or part-time and/or seasonal employees and the weekly volunteer crew.
Willoughby Heritage Farm and Conservation Reserve is a public park with an atmosphere inspired by 1940's farming-life, complete with tractors, barns, a 1930's Craftsman style Farmhouse, and live animals like donkeys, steer, chickens, and goats. Willoughby has over 30-acres of wild-life preserve complete with hiking trails, bridges, and vistas.
Duties for these positions include (but are not limited to): maintenance and preparation of grounds, mowing, weeding, tilling, raking, other manual tasks, manual labor including lifting heavy materials and working in adverse weather conditions, janitorial functions in restrooms and park facilities to maintain a clean environment, including litter pick up and disposal, set up for special events, and other duties as assigned for the benefit of the Parks and Recreation Department.
6 months of prior paid experience in municipal or commercial grounds maintenance are encouraged to apply.
Preference given to individuals that have completed a collegiate program in Recreation Park Tourism Administration (RPTA), grounds maintenance or related field or enrollment in a college-level RPTA, grounds maintenance or related program of study with the successful completion of at least 20 semester hours.
- 17 years of age or older
- Ability to interact with people efficiently and courteously, especially children
- Qualities such as competence, independence, self-sufficiency, dependability
- Ability to walk, run, stand, and sit and complete a variety of motor skills
- Ability to lift and carry 30-70 pounds regularly
- Ability to hear and see well
- Valid driver's license in good standing (clear driving record)
- Ability to work staggered shift assignments as necessary including evenings and weekends
- Ability to work in hot, cold, wet and/or other unpleasant outdoor conditions
- Ability to use or learn to use a variety of tools and equipment
- Strong customer service skills
- Must be self-motivated and be productive with limited supervision
- Regular attendance
This position is $16.00 per hour.