Job Summary: The medical assistant performs administrative support duties under the direction of the practice manager which may include scheduling appointments, answering the telephone and directing the calls to the appropriate staff, registering patients, collecting and updating patient demographics, verifying health insurance coverage and collecting/processing payments. Clinical duties are performed under the supervision of the physician and/or mid-level provider and may include obtaining and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for the examination, drawing blood and administering medications as directed by the physician and/or mid-level provider.
Service and Quality Standards:
Is Customer focused
Anticipates customer needs
Adheres to customer service standards
Is Competent, caring and compassionate
Treats coworkers and customers with dignity and respect
Demonstrates competent, caring and compassionate behavior
to customers and coworkers
Is conversation conscious
Assures confidentiality of patient and employee information
Is positive in interactions with others
Is courteous and respectful
Promotes a harassment free environment
Inspires the trust of others
Acts in accordance with hospital policies, meets the requirement s of the Code of Conduct, and identifies any conflicts of interest
Is excellent in patient care and service
Demonstrates multidisciplinary cooperation
Assists in obtaining excellent satisfaction scores of feedback
Is safety conscious
Demonstrates safety consciousness and supports safety initiatives
Is involved with improvement efforts
Supports performance improvement
Seeks ways to improve systems and services
Shows commitment to improvement efforts
Meets mandatory educational requirements
Is a loyal ambassador
Demonstrates commitment to hospital mission and vision
Is active and involved
Supports hospital initiatives
Champions innovation and supports change
Is a positive role model
Fosters team cooperation
Is a good steward of hospital resources
Develops/uses efficient work methods
Is cost effective
Conserves organizational resources
- Performs general office duties including registration, medical records, scheduling, telephone tasks and other such duties
- Performs clinical duties including rooming patients, taking vital signs, recording medical histories, preparing patients for the examination, drawing blood and administering medications as directed by the provider
- Provides care in a safe and effective manner.
- Appropriately follows the chain of command.
- Maintains accurate and complete medical records.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills with patients, families and co-workers.
- Demonstrates flexibility to meet staffing needs of practice.
- Maintains a well-organized environment.
- Facilitates accurate and timely patient/visitor related activities in an efficient and courteous manner.