The Physician Assistant’s primary responsibility is to promote and maintain health by providing safe and effective medical services under the supervision of a physician or surgeon. The PA provides diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventive health care services, as delegated by the supervising physician. As a member of the health care team, the PA takes medical histories, examines and treats patients, orders and interprets laboratory tests and x rays, and makes diagnoses. The PA can also treat minor injuries. The PA records progress notes, instructs and counsels patients, and orders or carries out therapy. The physician assistant may prescribe some medications based on the details of the collaborative agreement with the supervising physician. Other duties may include supervising technicians and assistants.
Service and Quality Standards:
Is Customer focused
Anticipates customer needs
Adheres to customer service standards
Is Competent, caring and compassionate
Treats coworkers and customers with dignity and respect
Demonstrates competent, caring and compassionate behavior
to customers and coworkers
Is conversation conscious
Assures confidentiality of patient and employee information
Is positive in interactions with others
Is courteous and respectful
Promotes a harassment free environment
Inspires the trust of others
Acts in accordance with AMG policies and code of conduct
Is excellent in patient care and service
Demonstrates multidisciplinary cooperation
Assists in obtaining excellent satisfaction scores of feedback
Is safety conscious
Demonstrates safety consciousness and supports safety initiatives
Is involved with improvement efforts
Supports performance improvement
Seeks ways to improve systems and services
Shows commitment to improvement efforts
Meets mandatory educational requirements
Is a loyal ambassador
Demonstrates commitment to AMG mission and vision
Is active and involved
Supports AMG initiatives
Champions innovation and supports change
Is a positive role model
Fosters team cooperation
Is a good steward of AMG resources
Develops/uses efficient work methods
Is cost effective
Conserves organizational resources
- Contributes to physician’s effectiveness by identifying short-term and long range patient care issues that must be addressed; providing information pertinent to deliberations; recommending options and courses of action; implementing physician directives.
- Assesses patient health by interviewing patients; performing physical examinations; obtaining, updating and studying medical histories.
- Determines abnormal conditions by administering or ordering diagnostic tests, such as laboratory tests or radiology studies. Interprets test results.
- Prescribes medications based on any restrictions within the cooperative agreement with the supervising physician.
- Documents patient care completely, accurately and in a timely manner.
- Performs therapeutic procedures by administering injections and immunizations; suturing; managing wounds and infections.
- Assesses patient and family learning needs and provides instruction and counseling by describing therapeutic regimens, giving normal parameters, promoting wellness and health maintenance.
- Provides continuity of care by working in conjunction with the supervising physician to develop and implement patient management plans.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection control policies and protocols.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Develops health care team staff by providing information, educational opportunities and experiential growth opportunities.
- Monitor performance of healthcare professionals at lower levels including nurses, technicians and medical assistants.
- Other duties as assigned.