Job Summary: Provides specialized, comprehensive, evidence based nursing care to Level I and Level II neonates using the nursing process.
Service and Quality Standards:
Is Customer focused
Anticipates customer needs
Adheres to customer service standards
Is Competent, caring and compassionate
Treats coworkers and customers with dignity and respect
Demonstrates competent, caring and compassionate behavior
to customers and coworkers
Is conversation conscious
Assures confidentiality of patient and employee information
Is positive in interactions with others
Is courteous and respectful
Promotes a harassment free environment
Inspires the trust of others
Acts in accordance with hospital policies, meets the requirements of the code of conduct, and identifies any conflicts of interest.
Is excellent in patient care and service
Demonstrates multidisciplinary cooperation
Assists in obtaining excellent satisfaction scores of feedback
Is safety conscious
Demonstrates safety consciousness and supports safety initatives
Is involved with improvement efforts
Supports performance improvement
Seeks ways to improve systems and services
Shows commitment to improvement efforts
Meets mandatory educational requirements
Is a loyal ambassador
Demonstrates commitment to hospital mission and vision
Is active and involved
Supports hospital initiatives
Champions innovation and supports change
Is a positive role model
Fosters team cooperation
Is a good steward of hospital resources
Develops/uses efficient work methods
Is cost effective
Conserves organizational resources
1. Supports Patient Bill of Rights and Responsibilities, including respect of cultural, ethical, and religious diversity.
2. Responds appropriately to infant security, hospital code and patient alarms, including required documentation.
3. Uses effective communication skills with patients, staff, other departments, physicians, families and visitors.
4. Provides age appropriate and population specific patient care in a safe, skillful, accurate and efficient manner to newborn, adolescent and adult populations.
5. Completes documentation accurately and in a timely manner, according to hospital policy and procedures.
6. Assesses patient and family learning needs and provides ongoing education and evaluation. Documents readiness to learn, teaching, barriers and outcomes.
7. Effectively utilizes the nursing process to ensure optimal nursing care and patient outcomes.
8. Engages in activities to expand and /or enhance the professional nursing role, which includes integration of research and evidence based practice.
9. Provides leadership and autonomy in the profession and practice settings.
10. Delegates responsibilities to appropriate health care team members and monitors their activity and work performance.
11. Facilitates and coordinates discharge planning based on patient needs.
12. Demonstrates proficiency in care of the transitioning and care of the Level I newborn to include:
b. Glucose monitoring
c. Bilirubin testing
d. Hearing screening
13. Demonstrates competency in stabilizing the Level II newborn to include:
a. Neonatal venipuncture
b. Cardiorespiratory monitoring
c. Bedside capillary blood gasses
d. Intravenous therapy
e. Oxygen therapy
f. Preparing for transport to tertiary care
14. Demonstrates competency in care of the family experiencing perinatal loss.